For your current MSR status please log in to www.pga.org
Members Affected: All PGA members except classifications A-3, A-5, Retired Member and Life Member Retired.
Effective for Cycle 15A: June 16, 2015 – June 15, 2018
Rules and Regulations for the Member Service Requirement (MSR), as defined by the Board of Directors:
- One (1) credit per hour of service or participation as defined by the chart below.
- A Section may require that all Section and Chapter activities be approved in advance.
- Based on previously approved activities, established guidelines and Section recommendations, the National Office will approve the credits to be awarded for a certain activity. The Board of Control will determine the number of credits in all disputes and the Board of Directors reserves the right to make modifications to the requirements.
- A participant may receive compensation for an activity.
- Fifty-four (54) Total credits are required for a three-year cycle; at least 36 must come from Meeting/Education/Player Development.
- Members who have attained a combination of years of active membership and age which adds up to 90 or more before the start of the Professional Development Program Cycle (June 16, 2015), shall be required to earn 12 MSR credits from the Meeting/Education/Player Development category only.
|#1 (a): PGA MEETING and PGA APPROVED EDUCATION – applies to the PGA REQUIRED CATEGORY
Attending career specific (professional development) education, including serving as a speaker/instructor. Any online education must have an assessment. Attending National/Section/Chapter Meetings, including Committee and Board meetings. Attending an Allied Association National Meeting or Education.
Career Specific Education EXAMPLE: Attending any career specific education, whether conducted by the PGA or other entity. PGA must approve all online non-PGA education in advance. (Personal development education is not considered career specific. Any education not conducted by the PGA should be pre-qualified through the National Office).
|1 credit per hour of attendance. (No maximums)|
|#1 (b): PLAYER DEVELOPMENT – applies to the PGA REQUIRED CATEGORY
Promoting, conducting and reporting Player Development Programs in order to engage and create golfers. Completing the Revenue Scorecard once per MSR cycle year.
EXAMPLE – Reporting creation and activation of new golfers and completing online tutorials and training via PGA.org.
REQUIRED 36 CREDITS IN A 3 YEAR CYCLE **MAY BE EARNED EXCLUSIVELY FROM EITHER CATEGORY OR ANY COMBINATION OF 1 (a) or 1 (b)**
|Credits based on the promotion, conducting and reporting of Player Development Programs. (Reference –PROCESS: APPLYING FOR PLAYER DEVELOPMENT CREDITS – below)|
|#2 Service to the PGA/Industry – applies to the TOTAL CATEGORY
Serving the Section, Chapter, National PGA or Allied Association. Participating in advancement of the game activities such as radio shows, TV shows, speeches, golf promotional non-playing events, golf clinics and other volunteer activities, such as non-playing tournament official.
Entered via Member online input
|1 credit per hour of participation with a maximum of 8 credits per day.|
|#3: Golf Coach – applies to the TOTAL CATEGORY
Serving as a golf coach or assistant golf coach of a high school/college golf team in a capacity not considered the Member’s primary employment. (See Rule #4 above)
Entered via Member online input.
|Maximum of 6 credits per MSR cycle year|
|#4: Survey Respondent – applies to the TOTAL CATEGORY
Completing a MSR-designated National or Section survey. The Board of Control must approve Section surveys in advance.
Entered by PGA upon survey completion
|1 credit per Section survey
2 credits per National survey
2 credits per six consecutive months of PerformanceTrak reporting
Maximum of 8 credits per MSR cycle year
|#5: PGA Tournament Participation – applies to the TOTAL CATEGORY
Participation in Section-sanctioned golf tournaments or tournaments conducted by the PGA of America National Office.
|2 credits per Section event
4 credits per National event
Maximum of 8 credits per MSR cycle year
|#6: Merchandise Show Attendee – applies to the TOTAL CATEGORY
Attending a National, Section or Allied Association Merchandise Show.
|2 credits per show
Maximum of 4 credits per MSR cycle year
|#7: Media Related Articles – applies to the TOTAL CATEGORY
PGA-approved news, media, magazine articles or published book.
Entered via Member online input.
|1 credit per article
Maximum of 6 credits per MSR cycle year
Total MSR per cycle = 54 Meeting/Education/Player Development Category = 36
- Section sanctioned = Approved by the Section Office/Section Board
- Nationally sanctioned = Approved by the PGA of America Membership Department, with counsel from the Board of Control as needed.
PGA Member Service Requirement Policy
Credit requirements will consist of two categories: (a) 54 Total Credits, and (b) 36 PGA Required Credits which must be from Meeting/Education and/or Player Development.
(a) Total Credits (54): A total of 54 credits must be earned, with at least 36 credits earned from the required category Meeting/Education/Player Development, while the other means of obtaining credits toward the total requirement remain per the prior program. All credits for any category must be earned via activities that allow for automated crediting through PGA systems to streamline the administration of the Professional Development Program.
(b) Meeting/Education: The credit category for PGA Meetings and PGA Approved Education are now combined and all will be awarded one (1) credit per hour of participation. Therefore any gathering of Members organized by a Section/Chapter or National, whether for governance, education, or both will be treated the same way. In addition, career specific Education from outside sources approved by the PGA will be credited toward this category.
(b) Player Development: The credits for Player Development will be earned via the reporting of actual creation, activation and engagement of golfers into programming that supports Player Development initiatives and/or education and training on the strategic plan, its initiatives, and related program administration. Thus both green grass and non-green grass or executive level PGA Members can meet the requirement by becoming knowledgeable about its strategic initiatives, and its programs.
Process: Applying for Player Development Credits
Conducting and Reporting Program Results:
Registering, promoting, conducting and reporting on Player Development Programs via PGA registration and reporting tools:
- Get Golf Ready (2 credits per graduating class, minimum of three students per class)
- Get Golf Ready 2 (3 credits per graduating class, minimum of three students per class)
- Get Golf Ready Leagues/Outings (3 credits per reaching minimum thresholds)
- PGA Sports Academy (2 credits per graduating class, minimum of three students per class)
- PGA Junior League Golf (3 credits per team/season, maximum of two PGA Members earning credit per team/season)
- Drive Chip & Putt – Host PGA Professional – 2 PGA Required MSR credits. Other PGA Professionals participating/volunteering – 2 PGA Required MSR credits for five to eight hours participation, 1 PGA Required credit for four hours participation
- Member conducted Player Development engagement programs which are reported through the Revenue Scorecard. 4 PGA Required MSR credits for the Revenue Scorecard may be submitted once per MSR cycle year by clicking www.pga.org/articles/revenue-scorecard-faqs
The Membership and Player Development Committees will continue to evaluate the credit structure.